History of Theodore Racing
Theodore racing was founded in the 1970’s by Hong Kong real estate magnate Teddy Yip, who worked with the biggest names in the sport including F1 World Champions Ayrton Senna, Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen and Alan Jones.
Theodore Racing is the first and only Chinese team to compete in Formula 1, has raced in 51 Grand Prix events and entered a total of 64 cars. Teddy Snr entered Theodore Racing into multiple high-profile Championships including:
- Formula 1
- Formula Atlantic
- Formula 3
- Formula 5000
Teddy Snr is well known as “Mr Macau Grand Prix” as he co-founded one of the world’s biggest and most exciting races the Macau Grand Prix. Theodore Racing has won the Macau Grand Prix eight times, it’s most famous win with Ayrton Senna in 1983. The Theodore team competed in Macau for the last time in 1992 with future Formula 1 driver Rubens Barrichello.
To this day Theodore Racing has a footprint as the most famous and successful team in Macau Grand Prix history.
Theodore Racing Today
After the Championship success, 2010 saw Yip Jr enter Status Grand Prix into the Formula 1 feeder series ‘GP3’ and finished as Vice-Champions in Seasons 1 and 2. Late 2013 saw Teddy Yip Jr. revive his father’s team ‘Theodore Racing’. The team entered into a partnership with Prema, Europe’s leading Formula 3 team. Following a 21-year absence from competition, Theodore made a spectacular return to racing after the team won on its return to the 60th Macau Grand Prix and achieved a record eighth victory in 2015 with 2019 Indy Car driver Felix Rosenqvist.
- 1974 Vern Schuppan
- 1976 Vern Schuppan
- 1979 Geoff Lees
- 1980 Geoff Lees
- 1983 Ayrton Senna
- 1985 Maurício Gugelmin
- 2013 Alex Lynn Dallara
- 2015 Felix Rosenqvist
Teddy Jnr’s involvement in motorsport continued to expand and in 2015 Status Grand Prix grew to include GP3’s sister series ‘GP2’. GP2 and GP3, now known as FIA Formula 2 and FIA Formula 3 and compete at Formula 1 events with a global audience of circa 300 million. Across both championships, the team regularly won races with some of the best young drivers in the world:
- Robert Wickens (Red Bull Junior driver, Marussia F1, Mercedes-Benz & Indy Car driver)
- Antonio Felix Da Costa (Red Bull Junior driver, BMW, DTM driver & Formula E driver)
- Alexander Sims (BMW Factory driver and Formula E driver)
- Marlon Stockinger (Former Lotus F1 Junior driver)
- Lewis Williamson (Former Red Bull Junior driver and current Endurance racer)
- Nick Yelloly (Force India F1 simulator driver and GT driver)
- Richie Stanaway (Former Aston Martin Racing driver and current Supercar driver)
A partnership with RLL Racing in 2016 allowed Yip Jnr and Theodore to embark on its biggest motorsport programme making a return to Indycar by taking on the “largest sporting event in the World”, the Indy 500.
2016 also saw Theodore Racing expand its partnership with Prema to include the Formula 1 feeder series, GP2, European Formula 3 & plus German and Italian Formula 4. That year they won two Teams’ Championships and the European FIA F3 Drivers’ Championship with Lance Stroll.
2017 saw three of Theodore’s drivers graduate to Formula 1 with Ferrari, Red Bull Racing and Williams. Three Team Championships were claimed plus two driver Championships with Charles Leclerc joining Sauber Formula 1 team at the end of the year.
In just two years the strong relationship between Prema and Theodore Racing saw the team bring home a number of Championships:
- FIA Formula 2 Driver Champions with Charles Leclerc and 2nd Team in 2017
- European FIA Formula 3 Team Champions in 2017
- ADAC Formula 4 Team & Driver Champions with Juri Vips & Marcus Armstrong 2nd in 2017
- Italian Formula 4 Driver Champions with Marcus Armstrong in 2017
- European FIA Formula 3 Team & Driver Champions with Mick Schumacher & Robert Shwartzman 3rd in 2018
- Italian Formula 4 Team & Driver Champions with Enzo Fittipaldi & Olli Caldwell 3rd in 2018
The team is proud to claim an exceptional list of alumni. 26 drivers who competed at Macau for Theodore from 1978-1992, no fewer than 25 went on to become Formula 1 drivers and 4 of Theodore’s drivers – Ayton Senna, Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen and Alan Jones – went on to become World Champions.
The Theodore team is committed to continue its success with the world’s most talented young drivers and is proud to be supporting Guanyu Zhou who hopes to become the World’s first Chinese Formula 1 racing driver. Currently Guanyu races for Uni-Virtuosi in the FIA Formula 2 Championship and has been given the role of development driver for Renault Formula 1 team.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Theodore Racing, all rights reserved.